One of my absolute favorite things to whip up on the grill these days are pineapple kebabs (and really just anything involving grilled pineapple – it’s so delicious!)
While my pineapple-only kebabs were suiting me just fine, thank you very much, I realized that it would be so simple to add a little bit of flair to them and turn it into a main entree, rather than just a tasty side snack.
I tried out a handful of recipes, and this one was hands down the winner. I loved that these weren’t spicy at all (spicy is my enemy) but still have a really strong and delicious flavor to avoid any blandness.
They couldn’t be easier to make, and the refreshing pineapple and roasted veggies included make it the perfect summer grilling snack…not to mention it smells amazing while you cook. Our neighbors were definitely envious!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple, chopped into 1″ cubes (I bought the pre-sliced! #lazy)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1.5in. pieces
- Wooden of metal skewers
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1.5in. pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into kebab-style chunks
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch (important for the texture!)
For the Chicken Marinade/Glaze:
- 1/4 cup canned pineapple juice (NOT fresh!)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional – I left these out…too spicy!)
*Note – for the chicken to marinade properly, you should do some of the initial prep steps 1-4 hours before you actually want to grill and eat!*
- In a bowl, combine and whisk the glaze ingredients together. Add 1/4 of this mixture to a bag along with the chicken and 3 tbsp. of olive oil. Toss it gently to make sure it is evenly coated. Marinate in the fridge for 1-4 hours (the longer the better!). Put the rest of the glaze aside in a separate fridge container.
- Preheat grill to approx. 375 degress (medium-high heat)
- Drain marinade from the chicken and thread the chicken, peppers, pineapple, and onions onto skewers (wooden or metal are fine!)
- Add the extra marinade (set aside) in a small saucepan and add the 1/5 tbsp. of cornstarch. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Grease the grill (see my beginner grilling tips here!) and grill the kebabs for 8-10 minutes, rotating 1-2 times until they are evenly grilled on all sides.
- Brush kebabs with tangy glaze.
Optional – serve with rice and a cilantro garnish for an extra touch, and add a little of the extra glaze. It’s delicious!