While the weather seems to be having a difficult time deciding if it’s fall or summer, I’m choosing to ignore the random heat waves and dive headfirst into a figurative (and hopefully soon, literal) pile of leaves.
I’ve got my fall candles burning (I’ve honestly almost used one up already, that’s definitely a new record), my cozy blankets are on display in their baskets, and I stocked up on all of my favorite teas. This may sound a little premature to some people but I say it is mid September and I love it!
I had an especially fall-centered day on Sunday with the candles, a little bit of red wine, football playing in the background and the best slow cooker recipe…like ever. I’ve had my crock pot for about a year now, and I still love experimenting with recipes all the time. It’s just so incredibly easy!
At the very most, you chop up a few ingredients and throw it in. Leave it alone for a few hours and your apartment (or house) smells amazing, and you’ve got a ready to serve (or save) meal!
I whipped up this soup for dinner Sunday and to take as a lunch option to work with me this week and it took all of my willpower not to have it for dinner again on Monday. The large portions are great for something that will last you all week long!
(PS – if you don’t already have a slow cooker, I seriously recommend just grabbing one at the store. They’re really pretty inexpensive, and the ingredients are so simple that making my lunches/dinners in mine saves me a lot of grocery money in the end! I have this one and it’s so great).
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced (1/2 Tsp. of Pre-Minced = 1 clove!)
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Basil (I shred it into smaller pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (I add 2-4 Extra Cups for a Less Thick/Less Creamy Soup)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of petite diced tomatoes
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups cheese tortellini (I usually eyeball this – typically around 7 cups)
- 3 cups packed spinach (I add a lot more, whatever amount you’d like!)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
*I save a little extra parmesan cheese to add on top right before eating
- In a medium mixing bowl (safe for microwave) add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste, and drizzle with olive oil. Stir.
- Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Add to slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is tender).
- Remove lid and add tortellini and spinach.
- Add parmesan cheese and cream (warm the cream beforehand to avoid curdling. 45 seconds in the microwave should do it).
- Use a fork to remove the chicken from slow cooker. Shred or cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken back to slow cooker, put lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes.