Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I’ve been itching to try out more “summery” lunches and step away from crockpot soups and other cozy winter recipes. As soon as the groceries start having wide selections of (affordable) berries and vegetables, I’m all about salads and light recipes to embrace the season!
I tend to be wary of packing salads as my lunch, because between my long work day and my Pure Barre class after work, I tend to be pretty hungry by the time I get home, so I always want to ensure I’m eating something filling enough to get me through the day.
- 1 cup quinoa (I made 1.5)
- 1 large bunch of kale (I used a packaged box)
- 2-3 cups of spinach (optional, for more texture and larger salads)
- 15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 oz. goat (or feta) cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds (you can usually find these in bags near the fruit/vegetable aisle!)
- 1 avocado, chopped (I added this the moment before I ate the salad so it would be fresh!)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (I love lemon, so I increased this to 1/2 and it was great!)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1.5 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- Either use a rice cooker for quinoa and place two parts water to 1 part quinoa (so 1 cup quinoa = 2 cups of water) OR
- Rinse and drain quinoa and place with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan, bringing it to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a low setting and cook for about 15 minutes until the water has been absorbed/evaporated. Let cool on the side.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add it to a bowl with all of the salad ingredients. Toss gently to combine evenly. If saving salads for meal prep during the week, separate into containers and add avocado + dressing right before eating for freshest results.